Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 3

Unfortunately I left my camera in Lubna's parent's car more most of this day, but I'm gonna try my best to improvise some pictures.

Ok. Day 3:

We decided we wanted a chill day. So I slept for like 23598623590 hours because I was still battling jet lag. After waking up, we packed for Dubai and headed out. Our flight wasn't leaving until the next day, but we wanted to spend some time in Bahrain.

Bahrain is a small island nation in the Arabian Gulf, very close to Khobar. The two countries are connected by a long causeway, with customs on a tiny island in the middle. (My passport is getting STAMPED this trip.)




Many Saudis spend the weekends in Bahrain, as it is much less conservative. I was not required by law to wear an abiya. And women are allowed to drive. The closest airport to Khobar is in Bahrain. This is where I flew into, and where we will fly from to get to Dubai. Here's a couple pictures of some things on the island:




We first visited Lubna's sister, Reem, who lives in Bahrain, and her new baby. He was cranky, and we went to run an errand for Reem. Lubna decided this would be a good time for me to try some Middle Eastern chocolate. Spoiler alert: Kit Kats are better in America.

After going back to Reem's house, we watched a quick DVD of her wedding, which had been about 3 years prior. Saudi weddings are very different than American weddings. Men and women have separate wedding parties. At the women's, which is what I saw, everyone gets extremely dressed up (like we're talking red carpet fashion) and dances and eats for like hours. Apparently the men have a dinner or something, idk.

We then went to eat dinner at a neat restaurant, which I unfortunately don't have any pictures of, and then we headed across the island to the Alansari's beach house. It's here, in a neighborhood of created islands:



And here's a pictures of the sunrise in her neighborhood the next morning:



So yeah, that was Day 3. Dubai tomorrow!!


No comments:

Post a Comment